SHERMAN D. HARMER, JR., President
Sherman D. Harmer, Jr., a 42-year veteran of the homebuilding industry, has built and marketed more than 16,000 homes throughout Utah and California. Harmer specializes in the development of Urban Infill, Smart Growth, Multi-family and serves as President of Urban Housing Partners. Mr. Harmer has been actively involved in Downtown San Diego since 1998. He has been actively involved in 12 Downtown projects and served as Chairman of the Downtown Residential Marketing Alliance for 10 years
Mr. Harmer, formerly served as the Vice Chairman to The Olson Company, one of California’s leading Builders of Urban Housing with offices in San Diego, Los Angeles and Northern California and was selected America’s Builder of the Year for 2001 by Professional Builder magazine.
Mr. Harmer previously served as President of California Pacific Homes of San Diego, which planned and managed the building of the 1,250 unit urban master-planned community of “Stonecrest Village” in San Diego. For six years prior to joining California Pacific Homes, Harmer was the Senior Vice President of McKellar Communities. He was actively involved in developing the award-winning project “Renaissance-La Jolla”, a 2,500 unit Urban master-planned community in San Diego.
Earlier, Harmer was the Chief Executive Officer for two Utah homebuilding companies, developing single-family and multi-family homes as well as commercial, retail and office complexes,while serving ten years as an elected member of the Utah House of Representatives.
Harmer’s other noteworthy accomplishments include:
- 2017: Chairman, Urban Council, Building Industry Association, San Diego County
- 2016: Founders Award, Downtown San Diego Partnership Alonzo Award
- 2011: Mulvihill Leadership Award, USD Burnham-Moores Center for Real Estate
- 2011: Hall of Fame Honoree, The Building Industry Association of San Diego County.
- 2010/2011 Chairman, Burnham-Moores Center for Real Estate at the University of San Diego
- 2008: “Father of the Year” Honoree, American Diabetes Association
- 2008: President, Building Industry Association of San Diego
- 2007/2014 Adjunct Professor, Masters in Real Estate Development,
- 2007 and 2008: University of San Diego, selected “Teacher of the Year”
- 2006: “Top 120 Most Influential San Diegans” San Diego Daily Transcript
- 2005: “Housing Advocate of the Year” San Diego Housing Federation
- 2004: Building Industry “Professional of the Year” San Diego
- 2004/2008 Board of Directors, San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2002/2007: Wells Fargo Bank Community Board-San Diego
- 2003/2004: President, California Building Industry Association
- 2004/6: Chairman, Housing Committee, San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2002: San Diego Press Club: Headliner Award “Developer/Builder of the Year”
- 2000/2017: Univ of San Diego, Burnham-Moores Center for Real Estate, Policy Advisory
- 2001: California Building Industry Foundation “Hall of Fame” Honoree
- 2001: San Diego Building Industry “Hall of Fame” Award
- 2000: “Urban Pioneer Award”, Chicano Federation of San Diego
- 1999/ 2010: Chairman, Downtown San Diego Residential Marketing Alliance
- 1999/2000: Chairman, Board of Trustees of the California Building Industry Foundation
- 1995/2008 Chairman, President’s Council, San Diego Building Industry Association
- 2000: Life Director, Home Builders Council, San Diego Building Industry Association
- 1999: Named in Builder and Developer magazine’s “Who’s Who In California”
- 1995-1998: Chairman, Board of Trustees’ for Village Church, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
- 1995: President of the Pacific Coast Builders Conference (PCBC) .
- 1994: San Diego’s “Building Executive of the Year” Award
- 1985: Received Professional Builder magazine’s “Professional Achievement Award”
- 1974-1984: Member of the Utah House of Representatives for 10 years
- Assistant Professor of Marketing and Finance at University of Utah for 15 years
- Graduate of University of Utah with a MBA degree
- Post Graduate studies at George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- Member, Pi Kappa Alpha, National Fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi, National Business Fraternity Lambda Alpha, National Land Economics Society of San Diego
MICHAEL DUNHAM, Principal
Michael R. Dunham is a licensed General Contractor with over thirty years of experience in project management and construction operations. He has overseen and controlled the development of a wide variety of projects and product types including (affordable to luxury): single family detached; multi-family attached; small lot condominium; clubhouses; urban high-density multi-story over parking structure; high-rise restidential and mixed use towers; master planned community site development and infrastructure; urban high-density building demolition and site development. His breadth of experience and in-depth knowledge of every phase of development has proven to be an invaluable asset to all project management.
Dunham is specialized in urban development and master planned community site development/infrastructure. His long standing relationship and experience with General and Sub Contractors of the area assures precise cost estimating and budgeting. Mr. Dunham is also a licensed general contractor.
Prior to co-founding Urban Housing Partners, Inc, Mike Dunham served as the Senior Vice President and Managing Director of Construction for the Olson Company (4 years). As a senior executive officer, he served as the qualifier for the company’s contractor’s license, and was responsible for all company construction operations, cost estimating, budgeting, value engineering, purchasing, contract administration, safety, field operations, customer service, quality assurance, third party review / inspections, and scheduling. Mr. Dunham and Mr. Harmer worked together at the company throughout his years there.
Served as the Vice President of California Pacific Homes (8 years), San Diego, where he was directly responsible for all phases of project development and management.
Vice President of McKellar Communities (2 years) where he was also responsible for all phases of project management.
Project Manager at Pardee Construction (2 years). His responsibilities included: opening a new market for residential construction including: land acquisition, project feasibility, project entitlement, and development agreements.
Served as the Director of Construction for Barratt American (2 years). He was responsible for all cost estimating, budgeting, value engineering, purchasing, contract administration, safety, field operations, customer service, quality assurance, third party review and inspections, and scheduling.
Served as Vice President of Smyth Brothers (7 years). He handled a full spectrum of project management tasks, cost estimating, budgeting, value engineering, purchasing, contract administration, safety, field operations, customer service, quality assurance, third party review and inspections, and scheduling.
State of California - Licensed General Contractor - Class B
JACOB D. SCHWARTZ, Vice President of Development
Jacob D. Schwartz has worked in the real estate finance and development industry for the last 15 years and has spent 35 years of his life in San Diego. As a San Diego native, he knows the power of redevelopment which has completely revitalized the urban fabric of numerous communities throughout the city.
He began his real estate career in the finance sector having worked with two nationally known real estate investment banks: Johnson Capital and Silver Portal Capital. Jacob is proud to say that he has been with Urban Housing Partners, Inc. since the very beginning of the company. Over the last 12 years he has been a key component to the firm’s strong reputation for project execution.
Schwartz is a strategic thinker whose breathe of experience is vital to early project visioning and conceptualization. With in-depth and accurate project and financial feasibility efforts, he creates the recipe for success on all projects UHP is involved in.
After a project grows from its embryo stages, and moves into a more formal land development process, Schwartz stays intimately involved, adding value where he can by helping to make crucial decision on project design with accurate financial underwriting and market forecasting.
Schwartz maintains a broad and well-rounded skill set in the industry . In addition to housing, Schwartz has a solid understanding of all mixed-use product types including: hotel, senior housing, retail, office, and parking. Schwartz is very passionate about the business, helping to execute all efforts undertaking by Urban Housing Partners.
Schwartz remains very involved is the development industry and has a special passion for nurturing the careers of his younger colleagues, particularly those from his alma mater; the University of San Diego where he has taught classes in development and real estate finance.
For fun, Schwartz enjoys surfing, snowboarding, motocross, the outdoors, traveling, going to concerts, and spending time in his home town of Pacific Beach, CA.
LENETTE HEWITT, Vice President of Marketing
Lenette Hewitt is the Vice President of Marketing for Urban Housing Partners. Hewitt oversees all the marketing for the actively selling projects as well as participating in the planning of future buildings and communities. Hewitt has been working in the building industry for 22 years in all areas of Sales & Marketing. Assisting in the design, market and sell over 91 projects including 8,200 homes throughout Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego.
Prior to working with UHP, Hewitt was the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Barratt American’s Urban Division. Hewitt also re-branded Barratt American after the buyout from their parent company. Hewitt was recently honored with the prestigious 2007 Brian Angelini Memorial Marketing Director of the Year award from the Sales and Marketing Council of the Building Industry Association.
She has been an integral part of achieving award recognition for over 100 awards Nationally and locally. Hewitt’s strong background areas include, public outreach, market research, website design, product design and urban and suburban infill communities involving city relationships and affordable housing programs.
For the last 8 years Hewitt has overseen the Public Outreach Campaigns for a number of projects and has helped to get them approved by City Council. These public outreach campaigns included business outreach, branding, and media relations.